The budget manager does not work in the same way as approval. The budget manager essentially only assigns new budgets to a user.
You will need to do ensure that the following settings are enabled:
Assign a budget manager to user(s) (only storefront admins can be selected) And ONLY 1 manager per user under Customer > Customers > Department and Relationships tab > Relationships dropdown.
Unhide the PrePay tab in customer settings in admin (you can rename this to Budget using language strings) Admin > Configurations > Settings > Customer Settings
Enable 2 message templates 1) Budget.BudgetApplied 2) Budget.BudgetRequest (Admin > Content Management > Message Templates)
Make sure that "Checkout allowed only with sufficient budget" is ticked in customer settings in admin (Admin > Configurations > Settings > Customer Settings)
The workflow is thus:
- When a user has insufficient budget to make a purchase during the checkout phase they are redirected to the PrePay tab in "my account" area or if their budget is zero it will display as below under the My account section.
- There is a field to request more budget from your budget manager,
- User requests budget value example £50.00 etc
- That fires the message template (2. Budget.BudgetRequest) to the designated Budget Manager
- The Budget Manager applies the requested amount in admin to the budget requesters user account and clicks save, The Message template (1. Budget.BudgetApplied) is fired back to the user to confirm their budget has been implemented.