In Catfish, a category is a group of products that will appear together on the front end of the site. They can have different pricing, attributes, discounts, etc. This is just a simple way to group them together so the user can easily navigate to the category, and start viewing the products.
For example: Business Cards, Letterheads and Compliment Slips Calendars can be added under a single category called Stationery.
To add a new category,
1. On the Catfish administration page, navigate to Catalogue > Categories > Category List
The Manage Categories page is displayed. Click on Add new.
2. The Add a new category page is displayed.
Each category information can be classified into:
- Category Info
3. Enter the following details:
The Category Info tab helps you add the basic information for your category.
- Name - Enter a name for the category.
- Short Description - a short description for the category
- Price From - allows you to add a descriptor that says when the prices start in the category
- Description - Enter the category description. You can use the format bar to change the font, color, and other properties for the description.
- Alternatively, you can make HTML changes. Simply change the Description editor to Code Mirror Editor, press Save and Continue Edit and then you can make changes via HTML.
- Bottom Description - Same as above.
- Alternatively, you can make HTML changes. Simply change the Bottom description editor to Code Mirror Editor, press Save and Continue Edit and then you can make changes via HTML.
- Category Template - Choose a category template from the drop-down menu. This template helps you display the categories in a professional manner. The choices are listed below:
- Products in Grid or Lines
- Products in expanding lines
- Horizontal Navigation
- Horizontal Navigation iOS
- Horizontal Navigation Carousel iOS
- Dualview for A.C. Data
- Products as Gallery
- Subcategory with products
- Products in List
- Category Slider
- Category Search
- Picture - You can also add a picture for your category. Only JPG, JPEG, and PNG files accepted
- Parent Category - Select the parent category (if any). If selected, this category will be added as a sub-category to the parent category.
- Price Ranges - Enter a price range for the category.
- Show on home page - Select if you want to show this category on homepage or not
- Custom Category Class - this is used for CSS. You can put in a custom class name in order to target a specific category instead of all categories.
- Published - By default, this option is always selected. Uncheck the option if you do not want to publish this category on your website.
- Display order - Enter the display order for the category. The smaller the number, the higher in the list it appears.
- Page Size - you can specify how many product you want to appear on each page.
The SEO tab helps you add information to make this category SEO friendly.
- Meta title - Give an SEO title for this category.
- Meta description - Enter a description.
- Search engine friendly page name - Give a friendly name for the category
- Meta keywords - Enter the keywords for this category.
Open Graph Data
- Title - give an OGD title
- Site Name - this is generate from General Settings
- Description - an OGD description
- URL - dynamically generated
- Image - supported file types are JPG, JPEG, and PNG
- You can now add a tracking script for your page
Be sure to save your category first. If you have products on the site, simply press Add a new product, toggle the checkbox against the product, and press Save.
||When you have a discount that is assigned to categories, this is where you can enable it. To create this discount, please see this article in the section Assigned to categories.
4. Ensure that the details entered are correct.
5. Click Save and the category will be added and listed.